Wednesday, September 5, 2007

...everything's better in Peterborough...

I'm winding down on my Southern Ontario tour (the screaming fans were tiring, I tell you!) and I'm on my last day here in the good ol' Peterpatch.

The last 2 weeks have been great. I spent a week in Smiths Falls with my sister and brother-in-law and it was lovely. My sister and I didn't even kill each other! This, my friends, is a small miracle which I chalk up to my having been out of the country for a year. Things went so well that my sister even offered to let me move in with them in their new house in Smiths Falls. It was very generous and I thought about it seriously for a bit...but...it might be a bit of a disaster. I can be really annoying. She forgets because I've been out of the country. :) (Love you, Tasha).

I was in Cobourg visiting my friend Titus for the beginning of the long weekend, and then Jen picked me up and drove me to Peterborough where I've been for the last 4 days. I've seen a few people, shared a lot of laughs and photographs, and generally just felt loved. It's been great! On a really positive note, I met with one of the teachers I traveled to Sierra Leone with in 2005 and told her about looking for a place to live, and she offered me her attic in Peterborough! It's got a sink! I love sinks! I still need 100% confirmation on the attic, but let me tell you, it looks good, people.

To add to the greatness of this option (which is 'option #4), I've felt a real peace about moving to Peterborough. I know the town, I can be close to my friends, I'm close enough to Toronto to get back for weekends and when I'm needed, I'm right by Trent and the library which I can have access to with my Alumni card, and i'm also close to a prof who will be helpful while I'm writing my thesis. On top of it, yeseterday when I was out for lunch with my glowingly-pregnant friend Brittany-Ann, we went to a new restaurant (tantalizingly called 'Dancing Blueberries') and they had a 'now hiring' notice in their window. I've always wanted to work at a place where blueberries dance. While we were drinking our coffee and eating our complimentary belgian waffles with chocolate sauce (oh yes, I'm not making this up), in walks the director of the Peterborough Singers who also goes to Britt's church, and all of a sudden I'm going to the first rehearsal of the group tonight...and likely being playing in some kind of band at church. Uh huh. (I dropped the magic word "Canadian Children's Opera Chorus," it works like a charm).

So, all in all, a productive weekend. I think I've found a place to live, I'm joining a choir, and maybe even a church. To top it all off, I was at my friend Jeff's last night and he made a delicious dinner of roasted lamb kebabs, feta-rice, and grilled corn on the cob. It only took him a couple of hours. Starting at 7pm. Sweet! Jokes aside, it was great to spend time with friends.

Thanks guys.

*sniff*

No comments: