Friday, September 5, 2008

...i can see clearly now...

the fog is lifting...for about 30 seconds.

Just a few quick observations:

1. The hot water temperature here is unregulated. It must be regulated in Ontario and other places because here it is scalding. Always. I could practically brew tea with what comes out of the tap but not quite, because the water does need to be boiled and filtered before it's actually drinkable.

2. Non-potable water, empty water tanks, wild dogs, swarms of children, phone delays, and endemic tardiness are just a few of the things about living in the North that remind me of living in Africa.

3. The kids here are like wild banshees. They roam the streets at night until all hours, unsupervised and uncared for. Sometimes, for fun, we watch them throw rocks at each other from one of our upstairs bedroom windows. It's like Lord of the Flies, but instead of a dead pig it's a seal carcass they're fighting over. And in school, it's a circus and I'm the ineffective ringleader.

4. I'm going to need to order more wine. Every day is 'one of those days.'

5. They don't actually pay me enough. Show me the money! (Love you, Tom).

6. Seal meat tastes like a cross between some sort of fish and animal liver. Narwhal tastes like a cross between lobster, and squid/octopus. Let's just say I don't think I'll be making seal meat stew any time soon.

In other news....

If you want to reach me, my mailing address is:

Emily Harrison
PO Box 167
Qikiqtarjuaq, Nunavut
X0A 0B0

Our phone number is:

(867) 927 8978.

Our phone plan is horrible so please call me because I can't call you that often!

Photos of our staff bondage...I mean bonding day out 'on the land' will follow soon.

Have a great weekend.

I plan to....drink....

(kidding Mum; I don't have a problem...just a solution).

1 comment:

Beth said...

This sounds so much like my brief experience of the summer I volunteered on a reserve. I clearly remember having to get one of my 8 year old campers to stop throwing rocks at a bear.
Well-I hoep taht this week is even a little better.
Take care