Monday, December 3, 2007

...snow days...

Today is the third snow day in about 3 weeks that the County of Peterborough has issued. THE THIRD!! This must be one of the benefits of not living in a big city and needing to be bused into school every morning. Where I grew up, we had nothing called 'snow days.' They just didn't exist. Even when the army was called in to remove the snow. The TTC kept on running and it wasn't cold enough for the bones in your legs to snap after a 15 minute walk, so the TDSB never saw the merit in declaring a 'snow day.' I did however get days off when the teachers went on strike. And then the caretaking staff. When I made it to university, we eventually had one snow day. Again, I missed out because I didn't even have classes on that day to begin with.

Where's my snow day? That's what I'd like to know.

And when you're a teacher, you still have to show up for class on a snow day. Unless you live on a farm. Or at the top of a very steep hill. (Naturally I've always wanted to do both).

I saw this picture on Facebook. A girl named Haze Long (she's Malaysian) drew this using the graffiti application.

Wow, people. Wow.

Only 22 more days!

4 comments:

T said...

ya snow day...BAH...no such thing in Saskatchewan...we had three times the amount of snow and sometimes it started in August and didn't disappear until May. I do remember one time school was canceled due to the freezing temperature. It was something ridiculous like -60 with the wind chill. Skin can freeze in a couple seconds...so they told us to stay inside. Smart move

Rui said...

We mustn't also forget the day off due to a certain someone (they shall go nameless...suffice it to say his nickname was Fish) gluing the Harbord doors shut. I guess that was during the highly hygenic caretakers strike.

Emily said...

Rui - Oh, I totally remember when Mark did that...it was pretty funny, and also ingenious. Who knew he had that in him!!

Cameron said...

Snow day, no way, we had one of those here the other day. Wait, it was something like that!?