Sunday, September 23, 2007

...I am the cat-lady...

It's official. I live in an attic and it even comes with it's own cat. How can I not become a certified cat lady? It's inevitable. I mean, why fight it? I'm going to stop going out altogether and only drink tea. I'll cook scones. I had a friend over for lunch and she brought me homemade raspberry jam. See, I'm already on my way - except for the 'friend part.' I'll have to ditch her and make the raspberry jam myself, but do that and I'm well on my way. I'm going to start drinking wine before bed and reading poetry, and Virginia Woolf. And knitting. I'm going to have to take up knitting. Everyone's getting a scarf for Christmas...

Sure, it's funny now. But what if the cat has kittens?


The cat's name is Smudge, due to the smudgy nature of her fur. It's almost as creative as the names I used to give to my pets when I was a kid (Hampstey the Hampster, Goldie the Goldfish, Blackie the Black Guppie Fish...). Smudge loves me. She doesn't particularly love being petted, but she does love to forcefully rub her head against you (of her own accord) and then lick you repeatedly. At first it's a little unnerving. Actually, it stays that way. But I'm beginning to accept Smudge for who she is. She's a bit traumatized after living in the attic for months alone. She's afraid of the new dog and has lived in isolation ever since. She's sweet, but a little psycho. Finally, a cat I can relate to.


I've got an antique trunk. And bamboo. Just wait until I tell you about the bamboo! Boy did I get a deal!

So I was looking for something to help me divide my bedroom area from the rest of the room, and I came across a giant roll of bamboo fence in a home accents store. It was on clearance because it had been used as a display in the store. They told me it was 12 feet in length. They lied. It's waaaay longer than that (note the excess rollin the right-hand side of above photo). So far, I've made 2 dividers, 1 blind...and who knows what else will become bamboo-rifique in a few weeks. Clearly, bargain bamboo is exciting for a newly converted cat-lady.


So if you ignore the mess (which I highly advise) and maybe if you squint a bit, you'll get a view of what the attic could be. Eventually it will be beautiful. And the shag carpet....well, it just makes me feel at home, without actually being there. (seriously, will I ever escape shag carpeting?).


And of course, we have the sink. It's nestled in the corner near the 'tea corner' (the one with the antique trunk...which incidentally also makes me feel at home). Ignore the clutter, ignore the dirt. I haven't cleaned yet. I can't wait for that. No, I'm serious.



So that's it! I'm looking forward to moving in more permanently around October 19th. Between then and now I have to head back to Toronto, transcribe another 6 hours of interviews (I've calculated that it takes me about half an hour to transcribe 10 mins. of interview), fly out to Halifax, attend a wedding, fly back home, and then move out to Peterborough. Oh yes, and celebrate Thanksgiving.

Next stop: Turkeys (Turkies?) Something's just not right...

Happy trails!

6 comments:

Cameron said...

Well it sounds like the home accents folks tried to bamboozle you eh?

Bamboozle (verb)

1.to deceive or get the better of (someone) by trickery, flattery, or the like; humbug; hoodwink (often fol. by into): They bamboozled us into joining the club.

Cameron said...

Had to leave a second comment as I cannot stand to see "1 comments" at the bottom of a blog.

Your blog is looking much more proportional by the way!

Emily said...

one little comment can change the world.

:P

So when are we getting together next?

Rui said...

Looking good Em!

Though I can't help but think of that lonely Panda somewhere in China that could have used the extra bamboo footage for his/her own divider purposes ;). Panda's may look lazy, but they're sneakingly crafty.

Emily said...

I'll make a bet that this bamboo wasn't even GROWN in China. (although, the 'made in china' sticker may indicate otherwise...)

It doesn't actually have one of those stickers.

:P

Looking good? so you think I'm going to become a cat lady too??

Rui said...

Haha...I'm going to slickly sidestep the "crazy spinster cat-lady" allusion. How's about "catwoman"? Much more mysterious and alluring don't you think?

:P