Thursday, August 23, 2007

...kickin' it in the 'hood...

My neighbourhood is called "The Annex." I'm not exactly sure what it's been annexed from, because it certainly seems like it's located smack-dab in the middle of things...but no one's really been able to tell me. I'm sure it's historical, and being a historian perhaps I should make a more concerted effort to find out. Or, it could be one of those moments where when I do actually find out, I go..."ooooohhhhh, yeah, I knew that already." Unfortunately, for a historian I have an utterly crap memory.

So my neighbourhood, 'The Annex,' is fairly student friendly being located about 5 mins or so from the University of Toronto. It's also a bit 'crunchy granola' if you know what I mean, and slightly artsy. I fit right in. My street is surrounded by the growing and expanding Harbord Street to the south, and the ever-changing, hip-and-happening Bloor Street to the north. Bloor Street seems to be one of those places that if you walk up and down it for a long time, you'll run into just about every person you've ever known, as well as no less than 20 new sushi restaurants. As a bonus, you can take every person you know to a different sushi restaurant.

Today was a funny day around my neighbourhood. I ran up the street to fax something off to my University and then go to the drug store and supermarket. I saw a few people I recognized from high school on my street and then in the supermarket ran into a guy I vaguely knew from OPC - Adam Pounder. Don't worry, I pretended not to know him. He did the same. Maybe now though, people will do a search for his name and my blog page will come up. Then as I was walking home, I saw some more people from school, this time elementary. I swear, no one moves in this neighbourhood. I mean, why would you?

It is, after all, THE Annex.

We're no Austria.

No comments: